Thursday, August 28, 2014

Thursday Movie Picks #7: Dramatic Scenes



Hey there, welcome to the seventh edition of Thursday Movie Picks! I hope you have been joining us the previous weeks. If you haven't, it's still not too late to join. For new folks, the rules of this weekly meme is simple: Each week there is a topic for you to create a list of three movies. Your picks can either be favourites/best, worst, hidden gems, or if you're up to it one of each. For more information on the meme and future topics please visit the meme's page here.

---

This week's Thursday Movie Picks is Dramatic Scenes (Your pic of dramatic scenes. You can either quote the scene or post a YouTube clip of it)
---

When I picked this topic I thought it was going to be easy. I knew I had seen some amazing scenes in a lot of movies. Ones that demand my attention. Ones that make me rewind and rewatch just because they're awesome. So then it came to narrowing them down and seeing if they were available on YouTube. Unfortunately, few are online. And when I checked, some of them did not seem as dramatic when they are seen out of context and so they were left out of my picks. Now, I also did not specify or define what were dramatic scenes when I chose it for today's topic. You can interprete it as you like. For my picks the dramatic scenes I have chosen are usually emotional and have a revelationary aspect in terms of the character or story. So here are my picks in alphabetical order.

---


Before Sunset (2004) - "Nine years after Jesse and Celine first met, they encounter each other again on the French leg of Jesse's book tour"
From the very beginning, we pretty much know of Jesse's feelings toward his and Celine's missed meeting 9 years ago. However Celine has been playing it cool until this scene. She finally lets it out how affected she is by that missed meeting. And did you see how Jesse wanted to touch her as she made the emotional sad/angry confession but too afraid to make contact. Celine does this too as the scene continues beyond this clip when he talks about his marriage. Her hand hovers over him as if to console him but retracts just before she touches him.




Michael Clayton (2007) - "A law firm brings in its "fixer" to remedy the situation after a lawyer has a breakdown while representing a chemical company that he knows is guilty in a multi-billion dollar class action suit."
Tom Wilkinson's character just had a public meltdown where he stripped naked during a deposition and this clip here is this great scene where he attempts to make his case and explain to his colleague, played by George Clooney, as to what brought about the meltdown. Basically he is wreck with guilt from representing a guilty client and he is standing his ground that he is not going mad despite the nude show he had just put on.



 

Scent of a Woman(1992) - "A prep school student needing money agrees to "babysit" a blind man, but the job is not at all what he anticipated."
Al Pacino makes an emotional, angry passionate speech to save Chris O'Donnell's character from getting expelled. When he slams his cane does that not make you sit upright and listen to what he says. It's overtop but it works. He's so powerfully intimidating he commands the attention of the whole auditorium of snooty students and educators...and us the viewers and puts it plainly what he thinks of them all and their scapegoating.


---

So that's it...my three picks. What three movies made your list today?

If you are participating be sure to add your blog post to the linky widget below (Enter your Blog Post URL, your Blog Name and your email {which will remain hidden}). Please also visit the other participating blogs, spread the word about this meme, and also link back to my blog on your own Thursday Movie Picks post :)

---

Participating Blogs/Bloggers



6 comments:

  1. Ah yes, I was a bit nervous for this one, largely because I had no idea how I was going to decide what scenes to put on the list. Glad to see I'm not the only one with that problem.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I left the dramatic part to your interpretation.

      Delete
  2. Very cool picks. I didn't much like Michael Clayton, but the scene you chose is probably the film's best. Good call.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You didn't? I love it. Good dialogue and performances by Swinton, Clooney and Wilkinson.

      Delete
  3. I hope to watch Sunset for the first time this weekend! Thanks for sharing this scene.

    ReplyDelete
  4. That's great! Have you seen the first movie Before Sunrise?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...